Emails and other personal data are very important for every computer user. Similarly backup is essential to ensure good health of your precious information. Most of the E-mail clients provide options to export emails, notes, contacts, tasks, and other personal information to create backup. Microsoft Entourage for Mac enables you to export data as RGE file, which you can later import to perform Entourage repair in case of corruption.
There are various methods that you can use to back up your Entourage database:
- Set a task to remind you of backing up the database. Mac OS X operating system enables you to use iCal and Automator to automate the backup process.
- Export all your data to RGE file, which is an archive of Entourage database, using the Export option under file menu. You can also archive the selected items.
- Manually move the selected Entourage folder to an external hard drive or storage media, which will be safe in case of any failure of damage. The folders are stored a MBOX.
- Close all Office applications and use Time Machine to back up the database. However, this is not recommended as a best practice because if your database is being written while backing up, corruption may take place.
When you create backup using the Time Machine, you cannot generally discover the corruption. You realize the backup file corruption only when you perform Entourage recovery by restoring the database from backup.
Mac OS X also includes a feature, called Snapshot, which enables you to restore a version of the corrupted file that was working fine earlier. It allows you to go back in time where the file was not corrupted and replace the file.
However, under some situations, you may find that your database is severely damaged and nothing is working to get it back to life. In such situations, third-party recovery applications come for your rescue. They are particularly designed to extract all inaccessible data from inaccessible database, using the most advanced and effectively recovery algorithms.
It is highly recommended to create regular backup of the Entourage database to protect it from corruption. However, some users do not backup the database and face corruption issues. Such problems need Entourage database repair solutions to work around the problem.
Finding out the corruption is a very important step in saving the database from further corruption and data loss. There are various symptoms, like the following ones, which tell you about the damage:
- You cannot open and see the database items.
- Entourage receives or shows blank emails, without any text.
- Emails are stuck in your account and you are not able to delete them.
- The application does not open or it freezes while opening and gives error message.
- There are some big gray blank areas of almost 3-4 lines in freezes the application when you click on them.
This list of symptoms goes on and on. Whenever you come of know about corruption, you should stop using the e-mail client and opt for Entourage repair solutions.
Microsoft Entourage might work without any problems, even if the database is damaged. You have to find out the database corruption using the following methods:
- Verify Database Integrity- The easiest step to detect database corruption is to use Database Utility to verify the database. You can launch the tool by holding down the Option key while starting the application.
- Export Database as RGE File- Even if the Database Utility does not detect any problem, this is not absolutely sure that the database is not damaged. To ensure this, you should export the database as an Entourage archive. If the process fails, database might be damaged.
- Export Database as MBOX Files- This step gives you complete assurance that the database is working perfectly. Export Entourage databases to MBOX files by dragging one folder at a time to your desktop.
In case you detect corruption using any of the above methods, you need to work around it using any of the following methods:
- Restore the database from recent backup
- Rebuild the database using Database Utility, if backup is not available
- Repair the corrupt database and restore it to original format using third-party recovery tools
The commercial applications are designed to retrieve inaccessible database objects in all situations of corruption. They are designed to perform absolute scan of the damaged Identity and extract emails, notes, tasks, contacts, calendar entries, and other database objects.